On May 18, nearly 200 community-minded individuals including nonprofit organizations, their leaders, board members, and volunteers joined together at the Santa Lucia River Club for 211 HelpLine’s Non-Profit Awards, Jewels of the Treasure Coast Luncheon. The event served as an opportunity to honor and reward organizations and individuals who work tirelessly to help those in need in the community.
The event was emcee’d by WPTV NewChannel 5’s Michael Williams and was sponsored by Publix SuperMarket, PNC Bank, Florida Power & Light, Guardians Credit Union, Florida Community Bank, KE Insurance Agency and Magellan Complete Care. Guests were also treated with a dynamic keynote speech by Andrew Treadwell, the administrative director of Legislative & Executive Communications at Indian River State College.
After guests enjoyed a delicious lunch, the winners were announced in nine categories.
- Indian River County, Organization of the Year: Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- St. Lucie County, Organization of the Year: Hibiscus Children’s Center
- Okeechobee County, Organization of the Year: Martha’s House
- Martin County, Organization of the Year: The Salvation Army of Martin County
- Rising Star of the Year: Kindergarten Readiness Collaborative
- Animal Welfare Organization of the Year: Humane Society of St. Lucie County
- Non-Profit Volunteer of the Year: Cindy Davenhall, American Cancer Society
- Non-Profit Board Member of the Year: Richard Del Toro, Boys & Girls Club of St. Lucie
- Non-Profit Leader of the Year: Jeffrey Shearer, Tykes & Teens
The applications were rated by a panel of judges – Terissa Aronson (St. Lucie Chamber of Commerce), Vicki Davis (Martin County Supervisor of Elections), Darcy Flierl (Counselor & Consultant), Eric Flowers (Indian River County’s Sheriff’s Office), Jessica Parish (United Way of St. Lucie County), and Brady Talley (Indian River State College).
211 HelpLine is the Treasure Coast’s centralized access point for information and guidance, referrals, advocacy, crisis de-escalation and suicide prevention. As the go-to place for health & human service information, 211 HelpLine understands that they are only as good as the organizations they refer to, and because of that, they feel it is important to recognize all the good work being done to help those in need – hence the “Jewels of the Treasure Coast Luncheon.” 211 HelpLine is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by simply calling 2-1-1 or by texting your zip code to 898211. CHAT options are also available through the website at www.211treasurecoast.org.