The Salvation Army began in 1865 when William Booth, a London minister, gave up the comfort of his pulpit and decided to take his message into the streets where it would reach the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute. By the 1900s, the Army had spread around the world. The Salvation Army soon had officers and soldiers in 36 countries, including the United States of America. This well-organized yet flexible structure inspired a great many much-needed services: women’s social work, the first food depot, the first day nursery and the first Salvation Army missionary hospital. During World War II, The Salvation Army operated 3,000 service units for the armed forces, which led to the formation of the USO. Today, The Salvation Army is stronger and more powerful than ever. Now, in 126 nations around the world, The Salvation Army continues to work where the need is greatest,
guided by faith in God and love for all people.
The Salvation Army in Tampa/Hillsborough County was founded in 1893. For the last 123 years, The Salvation Army has had a life-changing impact in the Tampa community. In 2014, approximately 74,000 nights of shelter were provided and more than 111,000 meals were served to men, women and children in Hillsborough County. In early 2014, The Salvation Army Tampa Area Command opened its first temporary shelter program for adult victims of human trafficking. As of August 2014, safe and temporary housing with comprehensive, integrated services such as case management, mental health and career counseling, translation services and medical evaluations has been provided to 28 individuals. The Salvation Army in Hillsborough County
also became the first approved human trafficking program in the state of Florida.